Auburn Electric is seeking a hard-working, self-motivated individual to join our team as a full-time Journeyman Electric Lineman. This position is for an experienced journeyman who will help anchor our line crews with tasks in the construction, operation and maintenance of our subtransmission and distribution electric system. The ideal candidate should have a strong work ethic, excellent problem-solving skills, a motivation to serve others, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Regularly works above ground on poles or steel towers, using climbers and safety belt or operating man lift equipment, boom truck or other specialized equipment. Uses a variety of underground locating and fault-finding equipment.
- Carries poles, digs holes, pikes and guys poles and other operations involved in the setting or replacing of poles.
- Inspects lines, poles and equipment for signs of damage/wear and reports deficiencies.
- Strings, splices, transfers and sags wire in energized or de-energized circuits and connects wires and transformers as specified or directed. Shortens or lengthens lines by adding or removing wire, using a variety of types of splices, connectors, sleeves or clamps.
- Installs, removes, transfers, maintains and/or repairs cross arms, pins, insulators, guys, transformer and switch racks, and other overhead pole and Underground Residential Distribution (URD) equipment using a variety of hand tools, equipment and power tools.
- Installs and removes transformers, including primary and secondary current transformers and self-contained meters; performs cut-outs, disconnecting switches, circuit breakers and other overhead line and URD devices, rigging block and tackle where necessary or working with ground crew and winch to raise or lower equipment.
- Installs street and area lights, working with primary and secondary voltages.
- Performs line switching or sectionalizing as directed; performs emergency repairs, phases and connects circuits under load; performs load checks and balances feeders as required.
- Routes or re-routes power lines over, under or around existing lines and structures, regularly working above, on or near energized lines. Selects and uses a variety of “hot line” tools and makes use of rubber gloves, line hoses, mechanical jumpers, fiber guards, blankets and other protective devices as specified. Works on all voltages as required throughout the system.
- Assists tree brush-clearing activities, as needed.
- Follows all City of Auburn policies and procedures in addition to all local, state and federal standards, regulations and safety rules.
- Work safely in a team environment.
- Preferred work experience in the electrical circuitry or electric utility operation
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Lift 50-100 pounds on a frequent basis
- Ability to learn and understand related regulations and standards for electric utility operations and maintenance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid commercial driver’s license (Class A) with acceptable driving record
- Vacation pay, holiday pay, sick pay, health insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and City-paid PERF annuity and retirement
- Starting wages $40 – $48 / hour, depending upon training and experience
Resumes and applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed (PO Box 506) or dropped in City Hall drop box at 210 E. Ninth St. Auburn, IN 46706. Applications can be downloaded from the button in the top right-hand corner of this page.
Oct. 1, 2021
EOE / Drug Free Workplace / E-Verify