Auburn Electric is seeking a hard-working, self-motivated individual to join our team as a full-time Electric Lineman. This position receives on-the-job training and close supervision to learn basic lineman tasks in the distribution of electric power, line maintenance and construction. The ideal candidate should have a strong work ethic, excellent problem-solving skills, be motivated to serve others, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Regularly works above ground on poles or steel towers using climbers and safety belt or operating man lift equipment, boom truck or other specialized equipment. Uses a variety of underground locating and fault-finding equipment.
- Carries poles, digs holes, pikes and guys poles and other such operations involved in the setting or replacing of poles. Inspects lines, poles and equipment for signs of damage or wear and reports deficiencies.
- Strings, splices, transfers and sags wire in energized or de-energized circuits and connects wires and transformers as specified or directed. Shortens or lengthens lines by adding or removing wire, using a variety of types of splices, connectors, sleeves or clamps.
- Installs, removes, transfers, maintains and/or repairs cross arms, pins, insulators, guys, transformer and switch racks and other overhead pole and Underground Residential Distribution (U.R.D.) equipment using a variety of hand tools, equipment and power tools.
- Installs and removes transformers, including primary and secondary current transformers and self-contained meters; cut-outs; disconnects switches, circuit breakers and other overhead line and U.R.D. devices; rigs block and tackle where necessary or works with ground crew and winch to raise or lower equipment.
- Installs street and area lights, working with primary and secondary voltages.
- Performs line switching or sectionalizing as directed. Performs emergency repairs, phases and connects circuits under load; performs load checks and balances feeders as required.
- Routes or re-routes power lines over, under or around existing lines and structures, regularly working above, on, or near energized lines. Selects and uses a variety of “hot line” tools and makes use of rubber gloves, line hoses, mechanical jumpers, fiber guards, blankets and other protective devices as specified. Works on all voltages as required throughout the system
- Assists tree brush-clearing activities, as needed.
- Follows all City of Auburn policies and procedures in addition to all local, state, and federal standards, regulations, and safety rules.
- Works safely in a team environment
- Preferred work experience in the electrical circuitry or electric utility operation
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50-100 pounds on a frequent basis
- Ability to learn and understand related regulations and standards for electric utility operations and maintenance
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record or possess a commercial driver’s license (Class A) or capability to obtain one if hired
- Vacation pay, holiday pay, sick pay, health insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts and City-paid PERF annuity and retirement
- Starting wages $15 – $30 / hour, depending upon training and experience
Deadline to Apply: Nov. 30, 2019
EOE / Drug Free Workplace / E-Verify