The City of Auburn is seeking a hard-working, self-motivated individual to join our team as City Engineer. If you share our core values—Customer Service, Stewardship, Honesty, Integrity, Respect and Teamwork—then you may be the ideal candidate. The City Engineer will be a committed leader who will work with our outstanding staff to provide high quality service to our organization and community. This position leads a multi-discipline engineering services department that provides design, coordination, review and project management services to other City divisions in the implementation of capital improvement projects.
The City Engineer works under the general direction of the Mayor to plan, organize, direct and manage the City’s transportation construction and infrastructure rehabilitation, as well as to plan, supervise, review and direct the work of assigned professional and technical contractors and consultants. The candidate must perform a variety of complex and advanced professional engineering and project management functions.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs the work of the Engineering department to carry out programs and projects intended to expand, rehabilitate, replace or renew the City’s transportation infrastructure.
- Manages the City’s Capital Improvement Projects, including scheduling, monitoring and reviewing the design and preparation of plans, drawings, specifications and estimates.
- Reviews drawings, plans, designs and other work submitted by professional and technical staff as well as consultants for conformance to specifications and local/state/federal laws and regulations.
- Administers outside consultant contracts, including issuance of bids and requests for proposals, evaluating bids and proposals.
- Directs, oversees and participates in comprehensive field and office engineering, economic and environmental impact studies and investigations related to engineering and public works projects; performs complex and detailed analyses.
- Acts as a resource to management, boards and commissions, City Council, committees, contractors and clients in the planning, development and implementation of the engineering activities in targeted and/or proposed project areas.
- Attends various meetings including, City Common Council, State and Federal agencies, Redevelopment Commission, Board of Public Works and Safety, and Planning Commission.
- Oversees the management and operations of the Engineering Department.
- Acts as engineering project manager for large, complex and multiple projects; directs project inspections and monitors progress; evaluates operations and activities to recommend improvements and modifications.
- Prepares and/or coordinates various reports relating to project progress; reviews work of contractors to ensure compliance with plans and adherence to established time frames and budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in approved program of Engineering or approved equivalent degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a public agency or related field with an emphasis on engineering, planning, project management, design and construction functions.
- Indiana Professional Engineer, Surveyor or Similar License.
- Management and supervisory experience of at least 3 years.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) and ADA regulations and requirements.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and analytical skills conducive to managing an engineering based work force of a public utility, managing quality control of project and department planning, coordination, design, finance, organization, construction, maintenance, operations and personnel.
- Vacation, holidays, personal days, health insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and City-paid PERF annuity and retirement.
Interested candidates can submit their application to email@example.com. Applications can be downloaded from the button in the top right-hand corner of this page.
Deadline: June 1, 2020
EOE / Drug Free Workforce / E-VERIFY
The City of Auburn is an enrolled employer in the E-Verify Program verifying the work eligibility status of its new employees and will remain so until that program no longer exists.