City of Auburn
Auburn Electric Department
The City of Auburn Electric Department is seeking a hard-working, self-motivated individual to join our team as a full time Apprentice Lineman. This position receives on-the-job training close supervision to learn basic lineman tasks in the distribution of electric power, line maintenance and construction. The ideal candidate should have a strong work ethic, excellent problem-solving skills, be motivated to serve others, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Regularly works above ground on poles or steel towers using climbers and safety belt or operating man lift equipment, boom truck or other specialized equipment. Uses a variety of underground locating and fault-finding equipment.
- Carrying poles, digging holes, piking and guying poles and other such operations involved in the setting or replacing of poles.
- Inspects lines, poles and equipment for signs of damage or wear and reports deficiencies.
- Strings, splices, transfers and sags wire in energized or de-energized circuits and connects wires and transformers as specified or directed. Shortens or lengthens lines by adding or removing wire, using a variety of types of splices, connectors, sleeves or clamps.
- Installs, removes, transfers, maintains and/or repairs cross arms, pins, insulators, guys, transformer and switch racks and other overhead pole and Underground Residential Distribution (U.R.D.) equipment using a variety of hand tools, equipment and power tools.
- Installs and removes transformers, including primary and secondary current transformers and self-contained meters; cut-outs, disconnecting switches, circuit breakers and other overhead line and U.R.D. devices, rigging block and tackle where necessary or working with ground crew and winch to raise or lower equipment.
- Install street and area lights, working with primary and secondary voltages.
- Performs line switching or sectionalizing as directed. Performs emergency repairs, phases and connects circuits under load; performs load checks and balances feeders as required.
- Routes or re-routes power lines over, under or around existing lines and structures, regularly working above, on, or near energized lines. Selects and uses a variety of “hot line” tools and makes use of rubber gloves, line hoses, mechanical jumpers, fiber guards, blankets and other protective devices as specified. Works on all voltages as required throughout the system
- Assists tree brush-clearing activities, as needed.
- Follows all City of Auburn policies and procedures in addition to all local, state, and federal standards, regulations, and safety rules.
- Work safely in a team environment
- Preferred work experience in the electrical circuitry or electric utility operation
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Lift 50-100 pounds on a frequent basis
- Learn and understand related regulations and standards for electric utility operations and maintenance.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Possess a Valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record or possess a Commercial Driver’s License (Class A) or capability to obtain one if hired.
- Vacation pay, holiday pay, sick pay, health insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and City paid PERF annuity and retirement.
- Starting wages $22 – $30 / hour, depending upon training and experience.
Interested candidates can apply in person at City Hall at 210 E Ninth St., Auburn, IN 46706; or through our website www.ci.auburn.in.us/careers, resumes and applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: July 15, 2022
EOE / Drug Free Workplace / E-Verify