Auburn Parks and Recreation is searching for up to 6 softball umpires to officiate the Adult Softball Competitive and Co-Ed Leagues throughout the 2020 season (April – early October). The umpires will officiate anywhere from two (2) to four (4) one-hour games per week. Umpires will not be employed by the City of Auburn and will work as independent contractors, reporting to the Parks Department Program Director.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Officiate Adult Competitive and Adult Co-Ed Softball games
- Follow and enforce specific Auburn Parks and Recreation Softball Rules as well as official National Softball Association Rules
- Turn on and off the softball diamond lights
- Open and secure/lock park restrooms and umpire storage shed
- Collect rosters from team captains
- Record end of game scores following each game into the official logbook
- Complete required incident reports when necessary and report incidents to Program Director
- Obtain game schedules from Program
- Attend all mandatory meetings
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years of softball officiating experience and/or umpire certification from the National Softball Association is required
- Available to work evenings Monday through Thursday from 6-10 p.m.
- Professional conduct, as required by the Auburn Parks and Recreation Department
- Ability to handle difficult situations during games that may involve both fans and/or players, including discipline up to and including expulsion from the ball field
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
Pay Rate: $22.50/per game (games 1 hour in length)
Apply: Contact or send your resume to the Parks Department at email@example.com.
Deadline: April 1, 2020