YouTube Channel Flickr Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Official site of Auburn, Indiana

Building Inspections

Whether your adding on to an existing structure or building a new one, it will need to be properly inspected at different phases of construction. Before you begin, it's important that you contact the Building, Planning & Development Department for the proper permits and approvals, as well an inspection schedule—all ensuring that your structure is safe for occupancy and warrants no hazard or thread to your safety.

Common Q&As about Inspections

Who is responsible for scheduling inspections?

It is the responsibility of the permit holder or contractor to call for inspections at specific times during construction. Inspections are made during certain points in the project, such as reinforcing steel size and spacing, or size and depths of footings before the concrete is placed for a concrete slab. A project is not complete for legal purposes until the final inspection.

What are the required inspections?
  • Footing  (Including Post Holes): Call after excavation when foam is in place but before pouring cement.
  • Foundation: Call after block is laid on a crawl space, or after forms are in place prior to pouring cement on a basement.
  • Underslab Plumbing: Call prior to covering with fill.
  • Slab: Call prior to pouring building slab or basement floor (but after reinforcement/wire and vapor barriers are placed).
  • Rough Electrical: Call before covering electrical with insulation, wall board, paneling, etc.
  • Rough Plumbing: Call before covering plumbing with insulation, wall board, paneling, etc.
  • Framing: Call after mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems are installed and before enclosing the walls with insulation, wall board, paneling, etc.
  • Temporary Electrical Service: Permanent service should not to be fed from the temporary service.  Call Auburn Electric Department at 260.925-8232 to acquire meter base.
  • Electrical Service Entrance: Call prior to permanent electrical service connection to acquire meter base from Auburn Electric Department (925-8232).
  • Sidewalks: Call within 48 hours of forming of sidewalk (Engineering Department - 260.925.8264, or Street Department - 260.925.6455) AND prior to pouring cement.
  • Final: Call prior to occupancy of the structure.
Who performs inspections?

Professionally certified inspectors staff the Building, Planning & Development Department. You can contact our office for a residential inspection Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

How long does it take to schedule an inspection?

Most inspections can be scheduled within 24 hours. If you work outside our regular business hours (7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., M-F), and need special inspection times, please let us know so that we can work to assist you in the best way possible.

Are there any special inspection fees?

Special inspection fees are charged for the following:

  • Re-inspections: $40 per trip
  • Temporary Certificate of Occupancy Inspections: $30 per condition
When are correction notices and green tags issued?

A correction notice is issued when an inspector finds an item that does not meet the minimum code requirements. No further work can be done until the identified item(s) have been corrected and re-inspected.

A signed green tag is left by the Inspector for a passing inspection.

What is a Stop Work Order?

A Stop Work Order is issued when:

  • A valid permit for doing work at the address is not found and a permit is required for the project
  • A correction notice has been issued and corrections have not been made

When a Stop Work Order is issued, work shall not continue until a permit has been obtained and/or the work inspected conforms to applicable codes and ordinances.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

A Certificate of Occupancy (C. of O.) is required for all residential and commercial buildings or structures prior to the occupancy or use of the building. C. of O. will not be scheduled or issued until all electrical, mechanical and plumbing is finalized.

  • Existing Buildings: C. of O. is also required for existing buildings. Changes in use of an existing building may trigger code requirements that may not have been required for the original building. The Building Department may issue Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for occupancy or portions of a building or structure prior to the completion of the entire building or structure for an additional fee. The Building Department can provide you with the requirements on existing buildings.
  • New Buildings: In new construction, renovations and additions, a final building inspection is required for occupancy. All electrical, plumbing and mechanical work as well as finish grading must be finalized before a C. of O. is given.
What if I do not agree with the inspection result?

If an inspector identifies an item for correction that the permit holder believes is correctly built or installed as per code, then they may contact the supervisor. The succession of the order for appeals is the inspector, Building Administrator, Mayor and, finally, the City Council or District Court. Most issues can be clarified or a solution provided within the Building Department.

Any appeal of a decision of the administrator or the terms of this chapter shall be made in writing to the city’s Board of Zoning Appeals, pursuant to the provisions of and in the manner prescribed in Chapter 150 “Zoning Code” of the Municipal Code of the City of Auburn, and the rules and regulations governing the operation of the Board of Zoning Appeals.

Are alternate methods of construction permitted?

The provisions of the Building Code are not intended to prevent the use of any material, alternate design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by the Building Code, provided any alternate has been demonstrated to meet the purpose of the code.

The building official may approve any such alternate, provided the building official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the provisions of this code and that the material method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in the code in suitability, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability, safety and sanitation. The customer is responsible to provide proper documentation and evidence of suitability for each alternate proposed.

Schedule of Building Inspections


Mayor's Corner

March 14, 2019
By Amy Schweitzer – Building, Planning and Development Over the past two years, Building, Planning and Development (BPD) has worked with the Plan Commission to revise the city’s zoning and subdivision control ordinances and create a new Unifie…
September 22, 2017
By Norman Yoder, Mayor of Auburn There’s been a lot of discussion about the Auburn Community Pool especially after it was announced that this past summer was its last one of operation. Many want the city to keep the pool open. I understand those sen…


January 31, 2019
Auburn Essential Services (AES) is joining Auburn Main Street (AMS) in helping the community form connections and make memories during “We Love Auburn” month. This year, AES is sponsoring a synthetic ice rink that will be available Feb. 9-10 f…


  • March 20, 2019
    Auburn Water is hiring! Apply by March 31. You can find the job description and application on the city Careers pag…
Public Meetings  btn-viewall-small.png