By Chris Schweitzer, Auburn Essential Services
At AES, we work hard at controlling costs. We’ve held our Internet and phone prices at the same rate since 2005, while continually adding bandwidth and features. However, TV programming cost increases are a nationwide phenomenon. No TV operator is immune. We experienced TV increases last year and we face them again in 2016.
Next month, AES TV subscribers will see an increase of $1-$4 in their bills, depending on their TV package. The increases are due to a few factors:
- Retransmission fee increases from local television affiliates (which are higher than cable programmer content fees)
- Must-carry programming changes that are a required part of some contracts (e.g. we have been forced to add the SEC network from ESPN)
- General programmer content price increases
While we can’t avoid the increases, we have taken measures to ensure they are as minimal as possible. This year, thanks to our association with NCTC, AES has been able to avoid the bulk of high increases being experienced nationally. We were able to hold our increase to 2-5% (compared to 5-12% nationally).
We recognize the impact of rising TV programming costs on our subscribers. We’re actively working on some options that will provide more TV viewing choices. The first is a new streaming option via Roku. It’s ideal if you want to complement your current traditional pay TV package, or if you exclusively watch content via Internet streaming media, but would also like basic broadcast channels from AES. Additionally, we’re looking at new bundling options. We’ll communicate more about these options later this year.
If you have any questions or concerns, let us hear from you:
- Phone: 260.333.0100
- Live Chat: Visit www.auburnessentialservices.net and click on the red “Live Chat” link in the top, right-hand corner of homepage
- Email: email@example.com
- In Person: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in our offices on the third floor of City Hall
By the way, watch the mail for a new copy of the AES Channel Guide. You can also be able to download it on our website.